Sunday, May 24, 2009

4 Cs

Gotta Love the Catholic Church! Thank you for “mass” media. I’m fairly certain my parish’s new facility has incorporated state of the art technology with LCD projectors and drop-down screens. Of course, several power point presentations were used during the fund raising period. When I get back I wonder if the congregation will we be tweeting- in during the homily.
What a far cry from No Child Left Behind are the needs of the UCAPP generation! I wonder when & where Mark Federman’s ideas will take hold in teacher preparation courses?
I think PYP is a step in the direction of Federman’s 4 C's (connections, context, complexity, and connotation) although we, at our school, are not yet doing so on the grander scale that is afforded us through the internet (twitter, facebook, collaborative commons). I think these 23 Things that Jennie and Pau have presented are a priceless jump start for me to better understand my students.
The PYP also attempts to incorporate the cultural aspect of society’s needs as, “it focuses on the total growth of the developing child, touching hearts as well as minds and encompassing social, physical, emotional and cultural needs in addition to academic development.” (www.ibo.org)
Like Tijana, I feel “in the middle” of the generations. As a family we are very lucky to be able to have the technology that allows us to be anywhere in the world and still be only a click away from family and friends regardless of where they, or more likely, we are located. As a teacher, I look forward to developing my classroom to embrace the 4 C’s. But, as a parent, I remain apprehensive of the constant connectivity. I am still learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment